What do we do?
The Derbyshire Sessional GP Education Group meets on Thursday afternoons once a month ten times a year. Membership is free. All meetings take place in the Education Centre at Chesterfield Royal Hospital (CRH) between 1.30 and 4.30pm. Free buffet lunch and tea! (Drug company sponsored).
There are currently about 60 members, comprising locums, new GP ST Programme graduates, retainers, salaried assistants and salaried partners, clinical assistants and retired principals. The programme aims to meet the educational needs of the group. Attendance is on average about 30 GPs at each meeting.
Members bring individual learning needs identified through their working year to the group discussion at the end of the year (June meeting). About 15-20 educational topics relevant to most of the group are then decided for the following year’s meetings.
Mandatory training sessions for Safeguarding Children and Cardio pulmonary resuscitation and a joint injection update are included in the programme every year.
A half hour appraisal revalidation portfolio session takes place at the start of most of the meetings. This is led by Dr Ilona Bendefy, a GP appraiser. It allows group discussion of significant events (SEAs), case reviews, audits and other quality improvement (QI) projects, together with updates on the appraisal revalidation process and guidelines.
Specific benefits include:
- On-going relevant education
- Inclusion on the CRH education mailing list.
- Mandatory training
- An opportunity to present and discuss SEAs, case reviews, audits and other QI projects.
- Advice on appraisal, personal learning plans and revalidation portfolio.
- Updates on relevant NHS changes, local and national information.
- Advice on employment issues.
- Job opportunities – CRH issues a locum list quarterly, local practices advertise through the education office. Locum and job availability are also advertised on this web site.
- Free buffet lunch and tea! (drug company sponsored)
- Peer support: The group acts as a forum to meet other sessional GPs, share concerns, worries or views about any aspect of work, not just patient management. This support can be valuable to those who have recently started in general practice, retired as principals, moved into the area or are working as locums.
The meetings are organised by Dr Ilona Bendefy, a salaried GP in Matlock, CME tutor and appraiser in North Derbyshire. If you would like to know more about the group you can contact her or Linda Smith (meetings administrator at the CRH Education Centre) - see Contact Us