This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.


If you wish to pension your income as a GP locum medical practitioner membership of the NHS Pension Scheme please;

1. For normal GP practice locum work obtain forms GP Locum A and B

2. If deputising for an OOHs GP service obtain forms GP Locum C and D

3. Read the notes for forms GP locum A and C and complete them carefully.

4. Send the form GP Locum A or C to the GP Practice(s) or OOHs GP service you did NHS work on behalf of, for certification with your invoice at the end of each month. You will need one form each time you are paid.

5. When your certified form GP Locum A and/or C is returned, read the notes for either form GP Locum B and/or D and complete them carefully.

6. At the end of each calendar month, close down that month's form(s) GP Locum B and/or D and send it with:
a) your cheque for NHS Scheme pension contributions and
b) completed forms GP Locum A and/or C for each payment declared on form GP Locum B and/or D to your host PCT/LHB.
Your forms and cheque should reach your host PCT/LHB no later than the 7th day of the month following the end of the month covered by the forms GP Locum B and/or D.
7. Repeat steps 3 to 6 for each month's invoice(s) for payment.

This guidance also applies to mainstream GPs who may wish to pension their locum work as well as 'Freelance' GP locums

Please note:
If you are 'pensioning' GP locum work for the first time, you can only apply for NHS GP locum medical practitioner membership of the Scheme up to 10 weeks after the end of a period of locum work. Please make sure that your forms GP Locum A, B, C, and D do NOT list periods of locum work that will have ended more than 10 weeks before your completed forms and contributions will reach your host PCT/LHB.

You can ask the pension/payroll officer at your PCT/LHB or the Pensions Agency for help with completion of these forms.


You can get supplies of forms GP Locum A & B and/or C & D from the NHS Pension Distribution Centre by:

a) Telephoning 08701 555 455 and quoting the form names, GP Locum A' GP Locum B, GP Locum C, and GP Locum D.

b) Downloading them from the NHS Pensions Agency website:
NHS Pensions Agency Website


GP's registered on Medical Performers' Lists for Derbyshire County and Derby City PCT should send their forms and cheques to:

Jane Rothon
Pensions Coordinator
East Midlands FHS
Cardinal Square
10 Nottingham Road

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website